Pages

Monday, March 3, 2008

My Space


I found something that works for me this new year.

I really hate that I cannot get my house and things organized and often get overwhelmed rather than tackling the job. I just read the paper and fall into bed night after night.

But, one cold January evening this year, I though, "why not just start by focusing on "my space", that is, areas that I personally use everyday. So I started with my underwear drawer.
I hate digging through a drawer to find something, esp early on a cold morning with little between me and the "elements" I decided that evening to dump out my drawer, thin out what I don't wear and organize what was left. It didn't take me as long as I thot, in fact I was so pleased with my nice fresh drawer that I dusted the top of the chest and reorganized my jewelry boxes and perfume. It didn't get my whole life in order but I loved getting dressed the next morning and it gave me energy to tackle other "little" projects.
This last Saturday it was too cold to work outside so I thot, "What area downstairs do I use the most?" I decided it was the kitchen sink. So I scrubbed it clean, washed the window above it and took down the blinds and washed the grime I had been seeing everytime I rinsed dishes for the dishwasher....didn't wash all the windows...just the one I look out of the most. Then I wiped down the counters and cleaned the top of the range really well. Guess what, getting up and going down to the kitchen was more fun the next morning.

I think part of what makes this work is that you are showing value and respect to yourself when you take care of "your space", when we don't, we are in a way saying that the person we are and what we do everyday does not count.

I work hard and give a lot. I think nice people like myself should get up in the mornings to tidy underwear drawers, sweet perfume, and clean kitchen windows to look out of. Those areas speak value to me everyday now and give me more energy to tackle other areas....my space feels good! What are your spaces?
Here's a link about drawers to get you started:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2143543_organize-lingerie-drawer.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Anyone who tries to organize things used every day has my sympathy. I have started making greeting cards and I try to make some every day and keeping organized is a lost cause.
Especially when I am still trying to de-clutter my office!!
Betty G