Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

Book Club Night

I went to my monthly book club tonight to discuss our last book, "How the Irish Saved Civilization" This book would be worth its aquisition if all you did was read the two chapters on St Patrick, the young Brit taken as a slave to Ireland only to return bringing a gospel that would transform this backward, barbaric country into a civilized haven that preserved hundreds of years of knowledge that would have been lost after the fall of Rome and most of the civilized world of the day.
If you get the book, don't be put off by the stuffy college level literature references,
just skip what you want and press on because there is some great info that you may never read anywhere else. There is so much more I want to know about and understand after reading this book...such as St Augustine....did you know there were two? One evangelized the people who became the Germans? Everywhere you look in history God's truth shows up.

Besides the lively conversation over this weighty but facinating book, we dined on Irish Soda bread, corn beef sandwitches, and other "green" themed foods. Our next book will be a mystery..as good as this last one was we are ready for a light read.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Kristen read that book and really liked it...I suppose I should too...since I'm Irish and all.

ROD said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lin said...

Aye ya bonnie lass and ya should
(oops that's scottish?)
Oh well, they were just misplaced Irish according to the book.

Unknown said...

RYC: I think it's funny you can work blogspot better....I can't manage to do a thing here!..it makes me crazy when I try...but I can manage Xanga fine. Too funny!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.