Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Tackyween

If I had awakened from a coma I could swear it was mid November if I went only by the weather. I am wondering what kind of winter we are going to have...maybe lots of snow judging from all this early rain and such a cool summer? What do you think?
I saw the first "Tackyween" blow ups today in a yard.
Guess you know what I think by the name but perhaps some of you find them cute and fun? I have never heard what kids think....maybe they really like them.
I could bear Halloween if they would not make them for Christmas, that's when I start having visions of me and a pellet gun at 2 am.....sorry but how many more ways can we commercialize Christmas....I love the lights and "tasteful" decorations but we have hit a new low the last few years...Lord deliver us from plastic blowups!!! I was surprised to see that many of these cost between $75 and $100. Seems like the same money could buy something wonderful and more enduring....like a new lawn mower and some bark dust for some of these sleezy yards...but I digress.

Today the sun finally won and is shining on my potted plants outside the window...I really like the red streaked grass I potted, it will be nice to look at all winter when everything else is green on green and blossoms are something not seen til spring comes back.

How's your October going?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That red/green grass is very attractive. I think I would like to try some.
I had some green plants one daughter potted for me from a grandson's funeral a year ago, and I just gave them to his mother. They had flourished on the porch this summer.
Somehow since I have gotten so old plants don't last inside for me like they used to.
One daughter gives me artificial plants, potted and very pretty.
Today another daughter came and tore apart the flower arrangements that I had in the hospital and did them over with the beautiful mums I had in the yard. Really a nice two bouquets now.
I had some big magenta mums and took a bouquet to a friend who isn't feeling well. She loved them which I knew because she had said so when she was looking at my flowers.
I have enjoyed the few flowers I have, and am thankful that Dean planted them, weeded them, and kept them watered. This was first for him and he did it very well!!!
But I still would like to have some grass that bright and cheery. I'll see about getting some!!!
Betty G

Lin said...

Glad you liked the grass Betty
I think it is called "blood grass"
Interesting how the love of plants brings people together Lin

Anonymous said...

I managed to plant some of that grass this year too! I have actually been cold the last week...I really don't think my feet have defrosted in the last 2 days...and you know me...I like the cool weather. I have to agree...it feels like November and seems like it turned into fall very quickly. I'm putting red beans and rice in the crock pot tomorrow morning...made me think of you! Perhaps I'll put it on my cold feet!

Bethany said...

Oh how I hate those blow up decorations! I also tend to dislike the flags that people hang outside their houses with the cartoon characters. I have to remind myself, though, that it is not my house, and therefore not my problem. Still not my favorite, though.

Funny blog!

The Good Eater said...

Lin, Thanks for the comment on my blog. I didn't realize those blowups were so expensive. The house in the picture on my blog doesn't even have a garage. I wonder where they keep all those deflated decorations? Halloween is small potatoes to what they do at Christmas. Glad to hear from a fellow traveler.

Anonymous said...

I am having a good October! Actually, we have had a very warm fall. I can remember a 9th of November being bitterly cold with a freezing wind whistling down those St. Louis streets a few years ago and yet the 9th of November is only 10 days away. How different each fall can be!

Love,

Your sister, Donna