Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2007

A new "understanding"

They came and cleaned our carpets yesterday. It had been a long time since we had the upstairs done, and I can't believe how clean they got everything...even old stains I had given up on including some red fingernail polish one of the girls dropped right in front of the guest sink of course. It is nice to look down at clean, fresh pile under my "standing".
I like to get carpets cleaned in the fall because if I am going to be inside a lot I want the carpets and windows to be clean. Didn't get to the windows this year but they look pretty good for some reason and I have had more pressing matters.

I feel like I am in a warp of pressing matters and wonder if this is how life is going to be , but then I think of all the things that have happened this year, wedding, funeral, birth, church crisis....I have a different idea of what normal should be.

We taught our 3rd ESL class last night. Every class our attendance has doubled, we are up to 8 now and 4 helpers. Yesterday it was the last and best part of a day that began at 5:30 am and ended about 10:30pm I wish I could get paid to do that instead of what I do. Maybe it is just because it is different? What would you like to get paid to do?

7 comments:

Bethany said...

Your question is very similar to the question, "What would you do if money was no object?" Both of these questions eliminate the element of needing to make a certain amount of money, and therefore get to the REAL question of, "what are you passionate about?"

I think that I would either join or create an organization that somehow encourages preteen and teenage girls to love themselves, recognize their value/potential, and help them commit to a healthier way of living. It might include programs to help girls recognize the societal pressures that tell them to look a certain way, and it could teach girls how to happily live a healthy life in their own skin.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I guess all those questions do ask the same thing.
I hope you get the opportunity to help young women, there is such a need for that message today! Surely it is God's message to those He loves so much and wants to bless.

The Good Eater said...

I have two fantasy jobs and both involve travel. I want to have my own tv show on Food Network where I would share a meal with people around the world. Adapting to different cultures, customs,languages and food would be an interesting challenge.
Or I would like to be a professional volunteer, traveling around the world offering my skills and services for room, board and a small stipend. Actually, that might make a good TV show. Maybe I should be an actress and act like I travel around the world.

Liz said...

Lin-
Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a very sweet comment!

If I could get paid to do anything it would have to be something that involves working with children. I'd love to go to different areas around the country and just spend time with the kids that don't have anyone else to spend time with. Feed the ones that are hungry. Read to the ones who can't read. Share the Bible with them. Play catch or sports with them. Teach them songs. Just be a support to them and help to guide them in the right path, especially the ones who are overlooked and or in orphanages/group homes/etc.
Hopefully once I am done with college I'll be able to find a career as rewarding!!

that was a fun question :-)

Lin said...

Liz, I hope you get the opportunity to work with those children...what a blessing you will be to them!

Anonymous said...

OK I'm a secret fan. And I couldn't resist answering the question. I'd be a professional student.

Lin said...

Ceila! Is this OUR Celia?
Thanks for stopping by.
Something safe about being a student maybe, always learning something but less responsiblity.
I think the most interesting adults are teachable and always learning.