Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Not my idea of a cruise



Rod and I survived our first colonoscopy.
Drinking that awful salt sludge was definately the worst part. By phase 2 we decided we liked drinking it straight and chasing it better than mixing it with something and prolonging the misery.

They had to try five times to get an IV in me, I think I was dehydrated from all the salt. They finally called in the supervisor to do the IV and she ended up being in my nursing class at Good Samaritan and was on my floor in the dorm 30+ years ago. We had some laughs.

I was teasing them in the procedure room that with our high insurance deductible this was costing us as much as a nice cruise which I have never taken and that I was waiting for them to make it more fun. The next thing I knew I was waking up from a nap in the other room and they were offering me juice and crackers.
Pretty slick, no pain, no soreness, just a nice little nap. I had 3 polyps that they removed so I have to repeat in 5 years. Rod was clean so he can wait 10 years.
I guess it takes a while for the "conscious sedation" to wear off because when daughter Bethany picked us up afterwards she said we kept asking the same questions and forgetting what she had just answered so maybe we weren't fit to drive but we FELT normal.
We all went out for a little soup, an event Rod has no recollection of, and came home to get hydrated and promptly all fell asleep, even the dog. I thot it was Bethany snoring oddly but it was the dog between Rod's legs on the couch.

I still think a cruise would have been more fun but at least when we do go I won't be worried about whether I am harboring colon cancer, the 3rd killer of people our age.
I can't believe I put it off so long...it was a "breeze".

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh, Uggg! I am not looking forward to that test! Glad it is behind you.

Unknown said...

At this time in life we are checking something all the time. And praying it comes out okay.
Dean and I have a philosophy, we don't even buy green bananas!!

You are a beautiful couple.
Betty G

Unknown said...

By now you are both feeling "normal" again.
When I think of times that I am out of my mind, so to speak, I am thankful the Holy Spirit prays for me.
So, think about it. Your daughter knew you weren't thinking right, so you have to rely on the Holy Spirit to pray for you .
Isn't that marvelous???
Betty G

Lin said...

Betty
I liked your analogy about the Holy Spirit. How true.
I am afraid I still have a lot of growing up to do in the trust department (as you will see in my latest posting tonight)It helps when we encourage each other so thanks for the good word! Lin