Pages

Monday, May 28, 2007

Do you know this terrorist?

I have a weed that has invested my flower beds now for a few years. I call it "pop weed" for lack of its real name due to its ability to make little spring loaded coiled seeds that fly in all directions when you touch it once it gets to maturity.
I fight it on every front, thinking if I get every last one each spring there will be no "hosts" left to reproduce and I will rid myself of it. When it warms up enough, I spray with toxic sprays that give me headaches for the next 6 hours, yet it reappears in my flowers every spring.
I just return from walking the dog and realized that even though it is not yet officially spring and the air still has a definite winter bite, this weed is already going to seed in my soggy, frigid, flower beds. I search for it on my walks in other beds around the neighborhood to no avail. Even the most unkempt beds seem to be spared this curse....I walk by and look on with wonder that no one else seems to be fighting this crusade!

One of the most fascinating facts about my nemesis however is that the poorer the soil the quicker it matures and reproduces. Instead of being 3 -5 inches tall and lush, it might go to seed at only 1.5 inches in a matter of what seems like only hours. As I despaired today to see this already happening in the winter, I wondered if a similar phenomenon occurs in humans who live for several generations under impoverished, harsh conditions. Do the women start maturing earlier in order to reproduce themselves before the harshness of their environment takes it toll on them and they succumb to malnutrition and disease? Hmmm.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Oh, I love your post! First, I love reading about other's gardening experiences as I like to do that and, second, I like reading analogies applied to real life.

I have trouble getting around to all the blogs of people who visit mine, but please know that if you comment on mine, I always follow the tracks back to read and leave comments.

Keep blogging! It is all great content here!