Pages

Monday, September 15, 2008

Geeks meet Hilary



I was invited last weekend to speak to a group of entrepreneurs leaving established companies and going out on their own in business. They needed someone to talk about health insurance.

What they didn't tell me was that these were I T (guys mostly) so you can imagine the clash when I showed up looking a lot like Hilary Clinton in my best pantsuit and makeup to talk to an group of 20-30 something males in alternative styles or at least very casual, baggy, shorts and t shirts.

As I "infiltrated" their small table discussions I realized that these hyper intellect types may not be the most socially well adjusted members of our culture but they may rule it someday if they don't already...a least from behind the scenes on their little laptops.

I decided to jump right in and try and engage some of them, it took a while esp with them snickering politely as I asked them to explain some of the acronyms they were using but all in all they were pretty good eggs and polite once you get their attention!

One 20 something was saying that he couldn't stand the concept of a CD because you actually had to store, go get, and "play" it to hear music. I realized then that we are starting to "live" in the context of a 14x11 inch glowing screen.
Computers are no longer a tool, they are a place we live, learn, relate, and listen to music.

That box is too small for me....yet here I am talking to you in it?!
Do we live here now?



1 comment:

ROD said...

You did a great job speaking. You are a great resource for health insurance information. They loved it!