Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Butcher paper thanks

Remember back before Thanksgiving I was musing over my desire to bring the focus of Thanksgiving back to our blessings?
Well, I tried one of the ideas I had read....a poster, butcher paper, on the stairway closet door with a marker attached. Family and guests were invited to write in things throughout the holiday...one I always forget is really quite long...4 days.

The hard part was finding pictures...even of food which I was trying to downplay. I commissioned new son in law Dan to draw the church at the bottom.
It became obvious that Thanksgiving has become a "blip" between Halloween and Christmas, mostly ignored by our commercial world...even Christian publications were strangely vacant of Thanksgiving pictures!

Interesting that we downplay a holiday about being thankful so we get on with a holiday about getting more things? hmmm.

Anyway, it was a good focus and as you can see it caused some good direction of thought.
I hope others will try it next year....maybe put it in the back of your 2007 calendar for Nov 2008?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good idea. We have gotten to the age our holidays are spent away from home.
Christmas day we will be having dinner with a daughter and at least one of her children, at her house.
Then during Christmas time we will be at church, at another daughter's and eating out with friends.
So, whatever your plans I wish you a wonderful Christmas and a great and happy new year.
This is the holiday we can't forget to invite Jesus to join us.
Betty G