Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

People or stuff?

I wonder if anyone is still reading this blog as I have been cleaning out my upstairs, thinning out old clothing and books.
I sent about 12 boxes of books home with my son and daughter in law this last weekend for a book exchange they know about at some of the Seattle area churches. God must have given me divine grace and strength to get rid of so much....it feels like a death, I thot sure I would teach from those books or someone would need them, but there doesn't seem to be much interest out there in the experience of other generations...the new marriages and new parents appear to be getting their information from their own peer groups...and maybe a new book that has either an untested theory or a repackaging of some of the principles by great family teachers such as Dr James Dobson.

When I became a mother, I could not read enough books or go to enough Bible studies on home and family. My mom, mature womens' Bible study leaders, and Dr Dobson on the radio kept my marriage and parenting ship on course. Maybe at least the books will get read now that they are back in circulation?

Some of the kids clothes I had kept out of sentiment but most of that I gave or threw away too.
I am relieved to have those rooms cleaned out yet I feel as depressed as relieved? It is like nothing matters anymore and no one cares about keeping anything. I can't keep it all so out it goes...like those years of my life and the things that documented them are also of no value or interest to anyone.
But having gone through my deceased Mom's house just a year ago I know that I must hold lightly and live lightly....I just haven't found the joy in that yet...at least grandbaby Micah has an uncluttered room for his crib now when he comes...I kept telling myself, "Your kids or the stuff?"

Still have a garage full of my Mom's things but maybe this experience will give me the courage to tackle that one of these days with new perspective... and someday the joy?

No comments: